Robert C. Scott – Founder | Richard A. Lambert, Sr. – President
Under the ownership of Robert C. Scott, who was one of the first black embalming license holders in Virginia, holding license # 75, the firm grew rapidly following rigidly a policy of service of excellence.
In 1936 the firm was incorporated as Robert C. Scott, Inc. Changing times and expansion the firm has evolved to the present designation, The Scott’s Funeral Service, carrying the same policy paramount in its goals and aspirations, “Service of Highest Caliber.”
Funeral services have come a long way in its development in the 97 years the firm has been operating. The first transportation facilities of the firm were made up of horse drawn vehicles. Scott was the first operator of a funeral establishment to convert to total motorized equipment in the city in the early teen years.
This progressive pioneering spirit characterized the founder and his firm. It was the first firm to operate branches in various sections of the city. At one time in its history, the firm operated our branches, or Neighborhood Chapels,” as they were called. As the population shifted, a result of urban renewal and affluence and the neighborhood chapel concept no longer served its original purpose, the firm in 1967 moved into its present modern new facility on the corner of Brookland Park Boulevard and Lamb Avenue of approximately 9,000 square footage which houses all of the facilities of the dressing rooms, selection rooms, state or viewing parlors, a chapel seating in excess of 225 people, conference and business offices, lounges, attendant’s area, Hammond organ, public address systems and a lighted parking area capable of accommodating 175 cars.
The Tradition Continues – Since 1910